Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Wonderland!

Andrew and I were scheduled to fly up to Oregon this last Saturday evening getting in around 4:30pm but as we kept watching Oregon news and weather.com we started to get worried that we wouldn't make it at all if we waited that late. On Friday they were predicting that a new storm would hit around noon on Saturday with snow fall between 6-12 inches! So we changed our flight for the morning one getting in around 10am. I am SO glad we did!! We flew Alaskan and a few hours after we got in they started canceling flights. I really don't know if we would have made it otherwise. I know other parts of the country get snow like this normally but Oregon really does not which means when we do get snow the cities really aren't prepared to handle it. My parents picked us up from the airport and picked up my sister in Portland as well on our way back home. She was coming just for the weekend and was planning on getting a ride back up last night. So she only packed clothes for 24 hours! The weather has gone from bad to worse and her boss told her to not plan on coming in until after Christmas. So now she is stuck in Salem with only a few items of clothing and none of her Christmas presents! My dad could drive her up with chains too but as we check odot it seems like that may not be happening today since the roads look like this:

This was Sunday morning. All night Andrew and I heard crack and then crash as the ice just got too heavy for the branches and they started breaking off. Here they are moving the glass table out of the way in case more fell. My dad, brother, andrew, and my cousin josh spent a few hours outside with the chainsaw cleaning up the mess.

Poor, poor tree. so sad that it is loosing it's branches:(

Lucy ran around for a while and found the ice to be a lot of fun!
After a few hours of just hanging out at home and thinking of what we could do we decided to take a walk to the nearest safeway to get starbucks! So off we went on our icy adventure. Here are my mom and sister, so tough!
Me and my sweetie all bundled up! The snow is so beautiful and so peaceful.




This morning instead of waking up to ice we woke up to snow!! fresh fallen snow! So we let the pup out to run around and she is having so much fun!! I think she would stay out all day if I didn't make her come inside when I noticed her shivering.
One thing that I am super sad about with all of this snow is it means I didn't have a baby showers yesterday:( I am super sad that my friends Annie and Amanda put all the time and thought into planning and Amanda sent out beautiful invitations and then we didn't get to have it. It was going to be up in portland with mostly my college girlfriends and portland has been hit even harder!

So now I am snowed in with my honey, puppy and family and really couldn't ask to be anywhere else. Andrew is about to make some decaf coffee for us to drink and maybe we will watch a movie. I know everyone else in Oregon is so sick of it but since we just got here we are still enjoying it! Hopefully we don't loose power!

2 comments:

Kaytee said...

This Oregon weather is crazy!! I'm supposed to fly into PDX tomorrow but I don't know if I'll be able to make it. How horrible to be stuck in Utah all by myself for Christmas! I'm praying hard for a weather change! I'm glad you guys made it though!

Wendy said...

I don't know if you are still loving it a few days later, but we are. It's so pretty and I love having my family all piled into the house together. I hope Kelly got to her presents. Bummer about that. Have fun in this snowy mountain weather.